dryrobe was designed by Gideon Bright - a UK based surfer with over 30 years experience in the water.
The first dryrobe was based on an idea Gideon’s mum had when he was a teenager. Surfing all year round, Gideon found that getting changed outside in the cold winter was not fun! Handy with a sewing machine, she decided to create something to make getting changed outdoors more comfortable. This change robe was like a huge cape with waterproof material on the outside, a towel lining and a hood. After initially being quite dismissive of it, the cape soon became an essential piece of kit whenever Gideon and his friends went surfing.
Gideon always had the old waterproof and windproof ‘robe’ idea in the back of his mind but didn’t really think to develop it. It took one freezing cold winters day years later, stood in a car park, in the rain with a soggy towel robe on, for him to decide to make something better.
Initially setting himself up in his garden shed and after working on several designs and experimenting with different materials, Gideon developed a front zipping change robe, that combined both a warm, advanced towel lining with a waterproof and windproof protective outer layer. The first ever ‘dryrobe’ was sold online in December 2010.
The dryrobe has received high praise since its launch and has become a very familiar sight on both beaches and on the back of elite athletes from all over the world. It has now become an essential companion not just for surfers but for swimmers, triathletes, obstacle course racers and virtually all outdoor sports have embraced the benefits of staying warm while changing outdoors, after events or just hanging about outdoors.
dryrobes can often be seen being worn by sports stars and celebrities at events. dryrobe have also partnered with some of the world’s biggest brands and teams to supply them with kit; including Red Bull, GoPro, Ross Edgley's Great British Swim, Sport Relief and Team GB at the Rio Olympics in 2016.
Get dry, cover up and stay warm with dryrobe. You don't know how much you need a dryrobe until you own one.
If you find yourself hanging around at sporting events, waiting to participate or watching your kids, a dryrobe Advance Long Sleeve will keep you warm in any climate.
- Leave it on over your clothing or wetsuit
- Re-use multiple times without the dryrobe ever feeling wet or cold
- Preserve your energy and core temperature with full protection from the elements
- Our lining draws the water away from the skin into the pile of the fabric
- The 2-way zips allow fast easy entry and exit. Operate from either inside or outside
- Keep your hands warm in our super lined zip close exterior pockets
- Store your essentials with multiple pockets inside and out
- Safely store your valuable items sealed in the '2-way waterproof' zip chest pocket
- At only 1.3kg It can be packed down small into a travel compression sack
You’ll use your dryrobe much more than you think, it will live in your car and be a lifesaver on many a cold morning or chilly evening. Whatever you are doing, from camping trips to elite level sporting activity, it's all #dryrobeterritory